Sunday, January 5, 2020

Wrestle Kingdom Night Two


Liger retirement match

I missed the first match due to some poor choices on my part, but I managed to get things going in time to see Liger take his final fall, and it spoke to me as Liger was one of the entry points into Japanese wrestling for me, as I suspect he was for most Western WWFCW kids which then converged with the early internet and tape trading and the grotesque thing of various message boards like Death Valley Driver for me and probably a lot of you reading this and whatever that spawned into in our various collectives over the years, and it made me realize that this dude, Liger, has always been there, been the one dude everyone could agree was cool, whether we were 10 years old seeing him for the first time in WCW, or whether we were snarky jackasses on message boards in our 20s and now into our 30s and Twitter and all of it, and I just turned 40, and Liger has always been a central figure in all of that and now he is retired and it makes me think of all of you and how we have basically grown up together as virtual friends in a weird internet world, and we’re still gonna be doing dumb shit when we’re 80 online, and it is all just so fucking ridiculous, like we will have lived full lives with each other without ever meeting face to face which is why I admire Liger for never taking off his mask. Here, we are one thing to each other and in real life, probably not so much, but that’s okay, just don’t take off the mask and we’ll be alright, the mask is your true face anyway.

ZSJ vs Sanada
I missed the junior tag match thanks to New Japan’s shitty servers, but I managed to get it back part way through this match, which was not a match that I even really wanted to see because I think ZSJ is False and I have seen him and Sanada wrestle this same match plenty of times already. I do want to note that Sanada’s look has become its own thing, like we’ll look back on this as the yellowed scrub of Sanada’s life, which is fine for such a good looking dude to do, to make it at least interesting. I have nothing bad to say about Sanada, and I have nothing good to say about ZSJ so let’s just leave this here and remember that Sanada is the good one.


Jon Moxley vs Juice Robinson

Moxley is interesting to me as a dude who can pretty much call his own shots in the wrestling world, and he seems determined to roll with New Japan and AEW so that will be fun and fascinating to follow. Of course, the big deal here was Minoru Suzuki getting involved and he and Moxley have energies that are not necessarily alike but are very commanding and I look forward to whatever shit they can come up with, especially because I feel like Moxley in particular is the kind of dude who needs to be motivated to be interesting and what could be more motivating than playing around with Minoru Suzuki? Yeah, so that should be a whole lot of fun and is all I probably want from my pro wrestling, I mean hopefully. Juice remains Juice, a dude who I like and who has a real command of the New Japan crowd, which is hard for a dude like him to capture, but he has managed to do it and I suspect he will be a key dude in New Japan’s Western rollout, and might end up working out better than Kenny and the Bucks in that regard. At least to me, a dude who likes his wrestling New Japan styled and if they can’t all get along, no worries, because Juice is there and he’s enough.

KENTA vs Hirooki Goto
This style of wrestling is very much my thing, and KENTA and Goto are both good at it, not as much as dear departed Shibata but still, that is the thing I like in my pro wrestling and so this was a match that I enjoyed quite a bit, as Goto gets vengeance for his boy and the LA Dojo, which also ties nicely into New Japan’s efforts to make this American thing real. Anyway, I like both of these dudes and obviously KENTA is the villain of the moment and he plays it well, a lot of resentment and anger built into contempt that I can appreciate. You don’t like him? Fine, that just makes it more fun when he fucks your shit up and really to me that makes him a hero.

Jay White vs Kota Ibushi

Jay White remains 2020 Ric Flair, and he does it all so perfectly. Special shout out to that top rope Uranage, which was sick as fuck. I don’t talk about MOVES here very much, but that is not what I am interested in as far as writing about this shit goes. But exceptions can be made especially when they are so cool as that, which was some top level throw wizardry and reminds you that Jay White has a ridiculously deep toolkit to work from as he invents himself anew with every match. He is quite possibly the best MOVES guy for me right now. Ibushi meanwhile remains a dude who will die in the ring and also a dude who is probably weird as fuck outside it. I mean he gets concussed so regularly but it doesn’t even matter because he is essentially on autopilot most of the time. Where does he go from here? I don’t know, but it will be interesting to see if they put the jetpack on him.


Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Chris Jericho

Chris Jericho is fascinating to me because he was never that big a star, but he has managed to leverage himself into being maybe the top guy in the world wrestling hierarchy. His command of the crowd is about as good as it gets and he’s just still good enough at the MOVES part of it all that it works. It is sorry to see Tanahashi gently prodded down the line, but I still think he can be a dude who holds up his end for a while and be like Fujinami, who looked great at the age of 142 the other night. Anyway, this was two elder wrestle dudes going at it and it was pretty damn good.


Okada vs Naito

They fucking got me with this. I spent the last ten minutes of the match on my feet cheering on Naito, which is how you know they are doing the wrestling well.  Especially because as I said last night that Naito doesn’t really do it for me, but I was all his on this night and it was the right night and time for him, and even if he doesn’t get a long run, it doesn’t matter, because this was his victory, this was him winning the game for himself and I have to commend him for that. After all was said and done and KENTA running wild as the big villain, I was totally satisfied of this thing, this fusion of sport and theater, in a way that doesn’t happen anywhere else really. Okada’s part in it was note perfect as per usual, and he will always be The Guy, but this was Naito’s night and it was fun as hell and it was what had to happen. And that’s how you make a Wrestle Kingdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment